storage for my paper projects...come take a look!

21 September 2010

Sympathy x3

Sympathy cards are always so hard to make. A couple weeks ago, I had to make three in a row. Here's the first one:


I used a butterfly die-cut (October Afternoon paper) on an embossed panel of Aqua Mist and a sentiment from Through the Trees. This went to a coworker whose father passed away suddenly -- she isn't someone I know extremely well, which kind of makes it easier to do a card. Does that make sense?

Next:

This went to a relative who also had a sudden loss. The Top Note die-cut is embossed with PTI's Linen/Canvas plate, though it doesn't show in the photo. Used the same sentiment along with a background strip stamped in PTI's Vintage Cream (which looks kind of pink -- anyone else have that problem?). Papers are from Basic Grey -- Porcelain, I think.

Finally:

There's that sentiment again -- this time with an image from the same set (Through the Trees). The kraft layer is embossed with the other side of Linen/Canvas, and the base is Spring Moss (what a lovely color, by the way). I also added some sponging to the main image, along with a hand-drawn border. This one went to a guy at work -- guy sympathy cards are extra-hard!

Well, I was pleased with the way these cards turned out (finally). Anyone out there have tips on sympathy cards? Or images/sentiments you turn to a lot? (Clearly, mine is Through the Trees!)

2 comments:

Emily Leiphart said...

Shucks, that's awful that you had to make three sympathy cards. You did a great job though, way better than I could've. I love the colours and textures on all three but I think my favourite is the first one. You're trying to sell me on Through the Trees, aren't you? ;)

My favourite set for sympathy cards is Verve's Forever in our Hearts (http://shopverve.com/vs-09-023.html). It's the one I rely on for such occasions but it's also the only one I have and it serves me well.

Meg said...

All three are such beautiful cards, Angela. The embossing on the first one is just gorgeous and I'm glad you didn't shy away from bright colors-it's nice to get a sympathy card that isn't gray. Beautiful stamping on the 2nd one. The last one is of course stunning-I don't think I've seen a bad card made with that stamp yet. The hand-drawn lines and linen texture really make it beautiful (I mean, manly).

I agree with Emily; Forever in Our Hearts is the one I have and use a lot. I like that the sentiments can be used on the inside or outside.

I'm sure all of these cards will bring a little bit of comfort to those around you. I hope you get to make some happy cards soon!